Welcome back- we hope you had a refreshing break and are ready to dive back into your studies and Cardiff life.
Find here some information that might help you settle back in.
- Out of hours parking
- If you haven’t already- connect your mobile to the wifi service- we now have access viaEduroam at Cardiff and Vale sites and some other placement sites- read more here.
- BNF apps available to Cardiff Uni students for your mobile- free to access
- Access UptoDate– you can use it to prepare for presentations, answer queries relating to clinical care, help you revise a topic and so on.
- You can send documents to our iprint service from home and collect them when you get into College.
Remember we are here to help, so feel free to contact us or drop in and ask for help at the enquiry help.
We’ll be advertising our usual drop in library clinics soon.
Scopus now includes Plum Analytics data, so each publication now has easy to access altmetrics. Data includes:
- Usage – for example, clicks, downloads and views.
- Captures – for example, bookmarks and favourites.
- Mentions – for example, blog posts and news media mentions.
- Social media – for example, tweets.
- Citations data
For more information on Plum Analytics, see http://plumanalytics.com/learn/about-metrics/
To access Scopus, see https://scopus.com
We now have access to the JOVE archive in the following areas:
- Immunity and Infection,
- Cancer Research
Watch JOVE’s scientific videos including demonstrations of experiments from laboratories at top research institutions. Use the advanced search options to help you find what you need.
In Vivo Model for Testing Effect of Hypoxia on Tumor Metastasis
Please note that from next Monday, 14th August until Friday 18th August there will be no service making ID cards on the ground floor of the Cochrane Building.
The service resumes on Monday 21st August from10.00am until 3.00pm.
If you wish to phone ahead before coming in the number is 02920688200 Alternatively cards can still be produced at the Security office on Park Place.
We have added a back file of the Biomedical & Life Sciences eBook collection from Springer publishers. The file of books added is quite extensive. A search in our library catalogue LibrarySearch will surface the book title as well as specific book chapters relating to your search.
Welcome to your new training post! We hope you settle in well.
You will find in your welcome pack information which will help you find your way around the library and information resources that you will need to treat patients effectively.
Cardiff and Vale UHB have purchased UptoDate and Clinical Key for your use. You can use these in work via the Clinical Portal on the Cardiff &Vale UHB intranet, or from home with your Athens account.
Obtaining your Athens account:
- If you are a Cardiff graduate and you had a student Athens account, it will be changed to a staff account and extended until July 2018.
- If you are new to Cardiff, or if you did not have a student account, a new account will be set up for you at the beginning of August and an activation code will be emailed to you. Please follow the links in the email and you will get the details.
UpToDate is a point-of-care tool. Enter a clinical condition or question to see a summary of the evidence, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment plus links to in-depth sources of information: www.uptodate.com
Clinical Key gives a broader range of information on a condition, with links to book chapters, articles, videos and images, presentation maker and patient information.
It also provides 600+ e-journals and 1100+ e-books published by Elsevier: www.clinicalkey.com
In addition to these 2 resources there are many other resources available via Wales e-library for health and these can be used at work or at home (with Athens), and it brings together many sources of health information: www.wales.nhs.uk/ehl
You also have the benefit of the wealth of information resources and Eduroam network from Cardiff University which can be accessed in the library or at home using Cardiff University credentials. To find out what’s on offer, go to https://intranet.cardiff.ac.uk/ click on the Student button and enter your Cardiff University username and password.
If you are a Cardiff graduate you can continue using your student username and password. Other graduates will be sent their account details by the Wales Deanery.
Lots of new resources have been added to stock over the last couple of weeks.
You can now search:
CAB abstracts- which covers applied life sciences including agriculture, environment, veterinary sciences, applied economics, food science and nutrition.
Global Health – the only specialist database specific to public health. The open serials policy and coverage of international and grey literature means that 40% material contained in Global Health is unique to the database.
SCONUL Access scheme enables staff and postgraduates, part-time and distance learning students of Cardiff University to make use of other University libraries around the UK.
Find out if the library you wish to use is part of the scheme and apply to use it by visiting this website.
Over the last couple of weeks we have increased electronic access to our journal archive collection. The articles in them will surface on LibrarySearch when you do a subject or topic search. These are the journals which we have extended in our collections.
- Journal of Advanced Nursing,
- Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology,
- Social Development,
- Journal of Dental Research,
- Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology,
- European Journal of Cancer Care,
- Journal of Zoology, Proteins, Molecular Ecology
- Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery,
- Pharmacotherapy, Taylor & Francis Pharmacology & Toxicology archive,
- European Journal of Oral Sciences,
- Oral Diseases,
- Dental Traumatology,
- Molecular Oral Microbiology,
- Journal of Public Health Dentistry.