Meet the Staff – Mari Ann

Mari AnnWhat is your name and job title?
I am Mari Ann Hilliar and I am Subject Librarian for Health in Health Library, UHW. I have worked in various libraries (all Health) in Cardiff Uni since 1999.

What are your subject area interests?
In no particular order –:EndNote Web, Twitter, Distance and E-learning, Medicine, Mental Health and General Practice. I work pretty closely with the following courses; diabetes, wound healing, medical education, anaesthetics and acute care. At home I specialise in ethical shopping, sewing and I listen to a fair bit of Jack White.

What are your Qualifications?
I graduated in English and Drama. I took a maternity cover post in Llandough library and decided to do a Post grad in Library and Information skills via distance learning at Aberystwyth University. I’ve done some teaching qualifications and I am pretty nifty with a sewing machine.
Where did you live as a child?
I was born and raised in Cardiff.
What do you like best about Cardiff?
I love that it is a small city with all that has to offer (the kooky Pettigrew Tea Rooms, Milgi, Chapter, Canteen, Tea and Cake) and that it is really easy to find something to do (the parks, museums, galleries and art/craft workshops)  AND so quick to get to rugged coastal areas like MonkNash or Nash Point.

What did you do before you worked here?
I’ve worked with children (decided against teaching at primary schools) and I worked in a number of shops (at one point I was juggling 4 or 5 part time jobs) which was really good test of customer service! My favourite job was working in the Health Food shop on Wellfield Rd, weighing out people’s herbs and spices and making real peanut butter. Unfortunately the shop is no longer there. 🙁

What was the first library book you remember reading for pleasure?
I used to be able to recite the whole of the Pied Piper of Hamelin when I was young (along with my father)- it wasn’t a library copy but its still etched with me….Hamelin town’s in Brunswick, by famous Hanover city…

What is your favourite thing about being a subject librarian?
I love the fact the queries are so wide ranging, the expanse of research and study in Cardiff University is great. I really enjoy helping people put together a search strategy. There is a good sense of accomplishment.

Save