BAHAR: Report on recent activities

I haven’t posted anything to this blog since 2012. There have been updates on the main BAHAR site, but I will add a note here too.

Santi and I have now both retired from Cardiff University, though we both retain emeritus or honorary positions there, and we have moved to Sydney, Australia.

Not much happened in 2012-13, since I was in Canada for much of this period, and Santi in Australia. However, a BAHAR meeting was held at Cardiff University on Monday 30 June, 2014, and was attended by several long-term BAHAR members. Participants viewed the film Monte Grande, by Franz Reichle,an exploration of the life of the great Chilean biologist, philosopher and neuroscientist, Francisco Varela (1946-2001). They also discussed future plans for BAHAR in the UK and Australia.

A BAHAR workshop was also held at St Michael’s College, Llandaff, from Friday 26 to Sunday 28 September 2014 on the theme, ‘Embodying Militarism: Exploring the Spaces and Bodies In-Between.” Further details can be found, along with other recent news, on the News and Events page of the main BAHAR site.

There are plans for a further UK workshop, on Tibetan and Chinese traditional medicine, to take place in Cardiff later in 2015, and perhaps another in 2016. We also hope to recommence BAHAR activities from our new Sydney base in the second half of 2015, and where possible to provide audio or video recordings of Sydney events on the BAHAR web site. Please contact me for further details.

Geoffrey Samuel