PEOPLE

Dr Adam C. Errington, Jane Hodge Foundation Research Fellow (ORCID ID, Google Scholar)

I am a Jane Hodge Foundation Research Fellow and investigator at the Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute (NMHRI) based in the Hadyn Ellis building at Cardiff University. I obtained my BSc degree in pharmacology from the University of Sunderland before completing a PhD in neuroscience at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand. During my doctoral work I discovered the novel mechanism of action of the anticonvulsant drug lacosamide which is now being used for the treatment of partial-onset seizures under the name Vimpat. I subsequently spent several years as a postdoc in the lab of Prof. Vincenzo Crunelli  where I studied the dendritic properties of thalamocortical neurons before establishing my own lab in 2013.

My lab has expertise in a range of in vitro electrophysiological techniques including whole cell patch clamp recording, 2-photon calcium imaging, fluorescence guided dendritic patch clamp recording and patterned 2-photon neurotransmitter uncaging.

Dr Cezar Tigaret, Wellcome Trust DEFINE Research Associate

Dr Zoe Noakes, MRC Postdoctoral Research Associate

I am a research associate at the NMHRI working under the supervision of Dr Adam Errington and Prof Meng Li. I have a BSc in neuroscience with industrial experience from the University of Manchester, and recently completed my PhD at Cardiff University with Profs Meng Li and Steve Dunnett. My PhD project focused on the differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs) towards striatal neuron fate. I am now working on the functional and molecular characterisation of hPSC-derived cortical interneurons for in vitro modelling of psychiatric disorders, using whole cell patch clamp recording and measurement of mRNA and protein levels.

JOIN THE TEAM

We currently have no specific positions  available. However, we would be happy to hear from talented individuals interested in our work and keen to join us at the Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute.